August 28, 2010

The Lost Men - Addicts and Panhandlers...

I live in a large city.  I don't live in a small town.  We have a pan-handler problem in our City - women and men begging on the streets continually for money. They approach you at bus stops, at bank machines, at inter-sections - looking you in the eye and pleading for money. It is continuous. 


Today, I was at the local bar and had a few drinks, and came back to the Drug Store to get a pack of cigarettes and when I came out of the drug-store, a man asked me for money.  He was pan-handling.  I gave him $1.00 and asked him his age. He is 36.  He didn't look that bad, bearded (so am I); he looked clean and fairly "together". 


I said "Why are you begging for money on the streets?" He said "Because I am addicted to drugs and alcohol.  I can't work and I don't want to work".   I said to him "Why have you given up on life at age 36?" And he said "I don't know.  I won't live that long anyway." 


And I said to him  "Jesus, Mary and Joseph pray for you and all of us."   And I walked away.   I left this encounter feeling out of sorts and confused.  I wanted to cry but I didn't.  I wanted to help, but I didn't know how to.  I don't know what to do for the lost men.  What do you do for those who have given up on life at age 36?  How do you help them?  

No comments: